Thursday, February 14, 2008

2004 or Here We Go!

I had 3 IUI's in 2004 with no success. I was now a candidate for in-vitro fertilization (IVF) - the very high-tech method (as Dr. B says, as opposed to the low-tech IUI process). Not to mention the very expensive method. His estimate was $14,000-$16,000 and we had no idea if insurance would cover any of it.

So, in November 2004, we had to make the decision if we were going to go for it. We wanted to be sure that we put money away into our pre-tax flexible spending account to cover the portion that was not covered by insurance. We put the money away and we were ready to go.

First step was our chlomid challenge test. They do this to see how my ovaries respond to fertility drugs. They want to be sure not to over-stimulate my ovaries and at the same time, give me enough so that they have good eggs to harvest. Harvest, funny word...

I had to get blood drawn and an ultrasound on day 3 of my cycle to see where I started out. Pre-antril count was completed on December 13, 2004.

On Thursday, December 16, I had to go in with a full bladder (ouch) so that they could do a trial transfer - basically making sure the catheters they plan to use will work. They don't want to come to the day of the transfer and run into problems.

They let me drain my bladder (phew!) that was painful - having to go to the bathroom very badly and then they start poking at the bladder - I'll have to do that again the day of the transfer.

Next they did a sonogram - not sure exactly what it's called, but they stuck a balloon in my uterus to expand it a little - then stuck the ultrasound in to check for fibroids - really bad cramping - ouch!!

Everything looked normal, so on we march through this adventure.

No comments: